Best places for back surgery
Spinal surgery is that type of treatment that should be accepted only when nothing else helps in improving your condition. Because it is one of the most important parts of our body, the one that ensures our mobility, posture, and even reflexes, the spine should be treated with extreme care. So, it is only natural to want to be treated by the best doctors in the best hospitals, to make sure that the surgery will be a success and that your recovery will not encounter any difficulties. The doctor that will perform the intervention is indeed very important; this is why you should opt for reputable spine surgeons, which have an extensive experience in the field. And since the best doctors are found in top notch hospitals, you can be sure that the equipment and conditions in the medical facility will be excellent as well. To help you in making the right choice in this matter, here is a list with the best spine surgeons and hospitals in the US. Also, you will learn what to do before and after the surgery to speed up the healing process and avoid pain.
• Texas Southwestern Medical Center and Dr. Kevin Grill
By simply looking up information about Dr. Kevin Grill, you will find out that he is regarded as being one of the best spine surgeons in the world in present days, due to the fact that he always used top notch materials and techniques for his surgeries. Some of the surgeries performed by this doctor that are worth mentioning are the ones in which he implanted artificial discs in the backbone to improve mobility and get rid of back pain. He can be found performing at the Texas Southwestern Medical Center, where the latest technologies are used, to minimize the time needed for surgery and help a patient get back on his feet as soon as possible.
• NYU Hospital and Dr. Jeffrey A. Goldstein
The New York Magazine named Dr. Jeffrey A. Goldstein as one of the top surgeons in the country and one of the experts in the spinal surgery domain for six years in a row. He is known for doing his best in finding surgical techniques that are invasive in the least way possible for all of his patients, whenever a person’s conditions allows him to do so. His area of expertise consists in replacing cervical and lumbar disks, just like Dr. Grill, using his knowledge and experience to allow a fast recovery for his patients. You can find this great surgeon at the NYU Hospital, where you will enjoy the best conditions and medical attention.
• Rush Hospital
Located in Chicago the Rush University and Medical Center, also known as the Rush Hospital, is one of the best medical centers in the world when it comes to spinal health. Some of the best doctors work here and it is hard to name one that is above the rest, because the entire team of doctors here is exceptional. They are famous for being able to formulate precise diagnosis when it comes to the various types and causes of back pain, known for the difficulty of being diagnosed in the medical world. Still, even if the doctors here are reliable and their diagnosis is most often accurate, when it comes to having back surgery it is always good to search for a second opinion.
• DISC and Dr. Anthony T. Yeung
The Desert Institute for Spinal Care or DISC is located in Phoenix, Arizona, being one of the best medical centers for back care in the country. Here, you will find Dr. Anthony T. Yeung, named several times on the lists containing the top spinal surgeons in the US, due to his activity in the domain. He specialized in handling back pain cases that are caused by degenerative conditions, so if you have this problem as well, it would be worth looking for Dr. Yeung. Bulging and herniated discs are among the specialties of the doctor, using imaging as his favorite method to precisely locate the area that is causing back pain for each patient. Dr. Yeung is the first spinal surgeon that ever used endoscopically guided lasers and developed the well-known Yeung Endoscopic Spine System, which is FDA approved.
How to get prepared for a back surgery
Preparation before getting into surgery is very important, not only from a physical point of view, but also from a psychological point of view. You need to be mentally prepared to cope with the situation, if you want to have the best results. Usually, people that are not prepared from a mental point of view end up worsening their status, so do everything needed to be ready for what is going to come up next. For instance, there are people that would like to know as much as possible about what their surgery involves. So if this helps you to be better prepared, talk with your doctor about all those aspects that interest or concern you about your surgery and even do some in-depth research if you need to know more. Also, do have in mind that if you don’t feel capable of getting yourself mentally ready to cope with the surgery, ask a nurse or even a psychologist to guide you through this process.
Still, there are people that prefer to avoid knowing too many details about their surgery, because this is how they manage to cope better. They are called “blunters” and are usually avoiding the information connected to their surgery or try to find distractions that won’t allow them to think about it too much. For this category of people, too much info can actually trigger a higher level of stress prior to the operation, so it would be best to be avoided. If you feel like the info provided by your doctor is too much and is causing stress levels to increase, ask the doctor not to get into details because it is causing you too much discomfort. You’ll probably want to know that you’re in good hands and that the surgery will unroll with minimum of risks. So, besides doing what it is strictly necessary in the preparation period before the surgery, do the rest of your activities like you’re supposed to, like nothing will ever change your life.
But, besides preparing your mind, you should also prepare your house as well, because you won’t be able to do some things like you used to for a while, and you will definitely not be able to lift weights or to bend over. So, here is how you get things ready.
• Get a toilet riser, because you may experience difficulties in sitting and getting up when using the toilet. Such a device will fit any toilet seat and can be found in rehab supply stores;
• Put the items you use the most in your reach, so you won’t have to bend to get them. Paper cups and plates are usually helpful in this case, because you won’t have to bend to get them or use the dishwasher;
• Use slip on shoes, for avoiding bending as well;
• Have your food prepared, because you won’t be able to spend too much time sitting up to cook. Either stock your fridge with food that is already prepared or shop at the grocery stores for foods that can be prepared very easily;
• Make sure to have a “reacher” or “grabber” around you. This is a device that can be found both in rehab supply stores and in department stores or pharmacies, being much preferred by people with a reduced mobility, because it helps them reach and grab items without moving too much or bending.
What to do after back surgery
Knowing what to do after back surgery will allow you to recover faster, by avoiding pain and supporting the area that was operated to heal faster. Besides the advice and prescription pills that will be recommended by the doctor, which will help you keep the pain at bay, here is what you need to know to continue recovering safely at home as well.
• Ask help if you are experiencing pain, because there isn’t a particular recipe of relieving pain that will work for everybody. Pain also includes constipation, which is usually caused by the medications you take within the first two weeks. No matter what is causing the pain, you should ask for help, because your treatment may be adjusted or you may use alternative methods of dealing with pain, like ice packs;
• Make sure to get sufficient sleep, because our body heals best at night, when we rest. So, whatever you do, after back surgery, make sure you enjoy a comfortable sleep at night. Do not lose sleep because it may affect your body’s rate of healing;
• Do not miss your post-operatory rehabilitation program. Performing stretching and appropriate exercises indicated by a therapist is a must if you want to recover fast and enjoy the best results after surgery. Plus exercising won’t just help your spine, but also your mood, by stimulating the body to produce endorphins;
• See if you can get help from back braces, which can aid you throughout your recovery period and not only. Back braces will provide support to your spine, avoiding too much strain on it and letting it to heal properly. It would be recommended to ask your doctor about the type of back brace you should wear, if and when needed.
A Zero Compression Back Brace has proven to alleviate back pain by putting spine in a proper posture.